wannabetvwriter

I be a good righter.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Know It All

I know everyone. I mean, like, everyone. People are agog at my knowing people. Like, I'm on this committee. We have these events. And every time we meet to discuss who to invite to these events, I know everyone on every show. And everyone knows that I know everyone and no one understands why I haven't gotten a job from knowing folks.

Lemme back up a second here: It's been a while since the last acknowledgment of my writing (Austin 2007). See, every year I like to give myself a year to get some sort of acknowledgment for my writing. And, I tell myself that after the year is over, I'll reassess my situation and see if writing is for me. After all, there's nothing worse than being that no-talent hack who spends their life trying to make it. THANKFULLY, I get a little sign every year. Sometimes it's a big sign. But I'm happy with the little signs telling me, at the very least, that I'm a semi-talented hack...

Anyway... it's not been a year yet. And I forgot to enter Austin this year. So, pretty much I've got WB and CBS. That's it. I don't want to hang my hat on waiting for those, so I'm looking for an assistant position. Because the one thing I'm hearing a lot of in regards to my writing is: she can write, but she needs room experience.

Which can lead to a whole catch twenty fuck situation that makes you want to pull out your hair.

Or it can lead to people who know that I know everyone beating my head in because I'm not asking anyone I know for help. Which, you know, is easy to say. Not so easy to do. Or, maybe it is for you. But, I'm trying. I really am. I just...

It's just so much easier to email or call folks to come to these events than it is to ask for them to believe in me enough to give me a job.

But, now, I've applied for a job. On a show where I know someone. And I need to call that person. And pimp myself.

But I don't know how to!

Ugh.

2 Comments:

  • At August 15, 2008 4:10 PM, Blogger Josh said…

    I feel you. I got my assistant job partially based on my writer bosses liking my pilot script, and STILL I didn't ask them to read anything else for a YEAR... and only THEN because they put the offer on the table to read it.

    Note that this isn't a complaint about my admittedly awesome-seeming situation, just an acknowledgment of how horrible I am at asking for things and "selling" myself.

    Which is odd because I'm normally such a whore.

     
  • At August 16, 2008 1:20 PM, Blogger BooM said…

    omg. I'm always talking about how that Josh guys is SUCH a ho. Fer serious.

    But, yeah. It's nice to know that other folks have as hard a time as I do. And, really, I can't imagine the folks, who are all about pimping themselves 24/7, being all that fun to work with. A little humility goes a long way.

    But what do we do when we're mostly comprised of humility? Sure that goes a short way.

    Josh, you sir have an awesome sitch. I hope they recognize your talents so you're not forced to ho yourself!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home