wannabetvwriter

I be a good righter.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Terminated.

Okay. So that last long post inspired a couple of people to ask me to partner up. And, being one who never says no, I've done so. One project is top secret. I'm not even telling my bestest friends about it or about who it is. Another project is not-so top secret, we're working on a spec TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES. It's HIGHLY enjoyable.

As usual, I've gotten tips from the writers about how they go about breaking the story, and we have used that in our breaking of the story. We came up with a solid, agent-grabbing, getting-on-staff-worthy idea. It was writing itself. And it was gonna be awesome.

Until last night that is.

When TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNER CHRONICLES did our idea in "COMPLICATIONS." Not only did they do it, but they proved how vastly superior they are as writers. Like, I was watching it in awe. Wondering if when we got to script we'd come to those conclusions. It wasn't just the A story that was similar (or, you know, exactly alike), the B story was our idea too. And, you know, the two ideas don't naturally go together, necessarily. It was a bit of a reach for us to come up with a theme that brought them together.

So, now it's back to the drawing board. Having been schooled by those who've gone there before.

What I now know is that we need to amp up our game.

2 Comments:

  • At November 18, 2008 10:05 AM, Blogger LisaK said…

    As much as I love "Sarah Connor," you might want to reconsider speccing it. It's never been a ratings winner, and is teetering on the edge of cancellation. Just my two cents.

     
  • At November 18, 2008 6:08 PM, Blogger BooM said…

    Thanks, Lisa. I totally get where you're coming from!

    The criteria in determining the material was not so much about masterminding our career path but more about what Partner has watched and loved. It's her first foray into television, so it's more of an exercise to see if we work well together than anything.

    Plus, I knew how brilliant the show was previous to this exercise, now I see how much further I have to go as a writer. And now, I'm viewing it as a personal challenge.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home