wannabetvwriter

I be a good righter.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Feast or Famine

I have no idea why, but I have a Feast-or-Famine relationship with certain shows. It usually seems to be the cable shows. It could be because I see how good they are and that highlights how good I have to strive to be.

OR...

It could be that, sometimes, they're so good and thought-provoking that they're kind of like going out to a posh dinner where you've got all of these strange creations on your plate with names and ingredients you could never pronounce, but are ultimately delicious. And sometimes you just want an In 'n' Out burger. Something like, THE MENTALIST. Which is not great by any stretch of the imagination. But when you tune in, you know exactly what you're going to get. Just like when you order the #1 with no onions (because onions are evil, people). CBS is brilliant at this kind of show. It's like the In 'n' Out of networks. Now that's got me thinking: What fast food joints are the other networks?

ANYWAY...

It's not that the cable shows are bad. Most of them are awesome. But sometimes they get too highbrow and too subtle in an "infused-with-essence-of-foie-gras" kind of way. This is DEXTER for me. The show has been piling up in my TiVo since the third episode. And for some reason, last week, I was really in the mood for truffle oil infused potato chips. So we started watching it. And I'm totally caught up in it again.

Now, I'm not saying DEXTER is a bad show. It's just a really fucking good show that is, at times, hard to watch. I mean, people have fucking miserable things happen to them. ALL THE TIME. There's never the happy, happy Chrismukkwanzaa ep. And there's just enough humor infused that it makes that hellaciousness bearable.

So, now, I'm sitting here blogging, wondering how I can get out of this fancy dinner I have to go to, just so I can gobble up the four remaining episodes left in my TiVo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home