wannabetvwriter

I be a good righter.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Genius Writer Emailed Me.

It was a loooooooooooooooooooong day yesterday. Between work work and my work and posting and surfing the 'nets and emailing and work work it was just... long.

And then, it was a long drive home.

But, I finally got here. And, as I do every night, I get back on the computer. Last night was a little different. I was a little bleary-eyed as I was checking my email. There was this weird one that was titled, "from Bradley Thompson, BSG." I assumed it was someone posting a comment (that's how Ye Olde Blogger works when you have the securities turned on) about one of the writers I'd mentioned.

Then I got to the content.

Dear BooM -

Thank you for the lovely things you said about "Downloaded." I'm glad it motivated you to get better. We also experienced moments on screen that made us want to hang it up, they're just so frakking good. Gallipoli, The Wire -- etc. We see that and believe we'll never be as good as... well, Ron Moore, who blows us away every time he comes into the room.

And sees more than one side to any argument.

Best wishes,

-Bradley Thompson
Supervising Producer, Battlestar Galactica


I don't know about you guys, but I can see his brilliance just from his email. Of course, I already had a writer's crush on him (and his partner). Apparently he's honored that I wanted to post his email. But, you guys, *I'm* the honored one. Knowing that there are people at his level who still get humbled by brilliant TV? I'm just glad it doesn't go away. Because if it did, then writing for television would sound like a J.O.B.

I have also broken Mr. Thompson down by begging, pleading and general grovelry to the point that he's actually agreed to answer some questions I posed to him about writing the episode (and hopefully more) and about how he and his partner broke in!

He's a busy bee, so you'll have to wait a bit -- basically you're still stuck with me for a while. Blame him, he's being all genius-y.

Oh, and... recently, a friend wrote on her blog about her favorite movie. How it was fantabulous. And how it made her SQUEE! with glee. I happened to know the writer of said movie and directed the writer to my friend's site. Which reminded me that I should start thinking about who reads my sleepy little blog here. Like, how I should watch my fucking language. I totally forgot. I consider myself fucking reminded.

1 Comments:

  • At January 16, 2009 5:13 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    That's awesome!

    I wrote a letter, snail-mail style, with a stamp and everything, to Mark Verheiden after I'd seen "Collaborators." The best episode of the 2nd best series on TV, as far as I'm concerned. I got nary a response. But you write a blog post, and get a note directly from B Thompson!

    I feel ripped off.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home