wannabetvwriter

I be a good righter.

Monday, January 26, 2009

(Not so) Happy Town.

So, for the past two years I've been working on a pilot called DEATH OF A SMALL TOWN. It takes place in Minnesota. You'll be able to see it on the small screen next Fall on ABC. Except, the show you'll see on ABC isn't mine. It just happens to be a very similar premise in the exact same location.

There's this great part of DEATH, which isn't in HAPPY TOWN, about some freaky folks who are opening up a museum. That was an episode of LIFE a few week's back. I didn't write that either.

I'm heart-broken.

And I'm sick of being a nobody.

A nobody who can't pitch their ideas to anyone.

A nobody who's got a lot of great ideas and knows it because people keep doing her ideas.

Guess it's back to the drawing board. But seriously, guys, it's getting harder and harder to pick the bootstraps up.

3 Comments:

  • At January 29, 2009 8:18 PM, Blogger Stercus Accidit said…

    You're gonna have to sack up, sister, or take your jacks and go home. If you've written something that you later see on air, it's frustrating, but it also MAY prove that you're thinking like a working writer. A good thing.

    Ideas are like a-holes, sister. Finished scripts, even the crappy ones, are more rare.

    You simply must get faster.

    Why have you been working on a pilot for two years? I can more than understand if you wrote it, then returned to a rewrite later, but TV is about speed within the confines of the conventions.

    How many TV scripts have you finished? Completely finished?

     
  • At January 29, 2009 9:40 PM, Blogger BooM said…

    Thanks, Stercus Accidit (a very cool, and fitting, moniker).

    Yes, it's something I've been writing and rewriting for two years. In between writing other things.

    I get, and agree with, the speed thing, and I'm a quick writer when I need be. This was just a personal thing that I wanted to take a lot of time to get right. It's possible that because it was so personal, I took HAPPY TOWN a little harder than I normally would.

    I have no idea why I'm having a hard time responding to your final question. I've written about six different responses. If I'm being brutally honest, right now I have about three scripts still in play. None of which I love like I love that pilot.

     
  • At February 12, 2009 8:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Gutted for you. Good luck getting back on your feet and into your next big project.

    Just make it even better than the last one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home