wannabetvwriter

I be a good righter.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A dollar late.

I hate Matt Nix.

That fucker keeps creating the shows I want to be creating. The pilots I should be writing. I just never realize this until after he writes them. Asshole.

Okay. I would totally settle for writing for them. And by "settle for writing," I mean I would, "kill small children and puppies and rainbows to scrape shit off the writers' shoes -- whenever needed."

The jerk even incorporates little moments that I'd love to incorporate into my scripts. I just never realize I want to until I see Mr. Nix and his merry band of writers writing them. Except for one moment. I mean, he still wrote it, but it's a moment that I would love to have written -- there was just never any opportunity to in my scripts.

Wait. Let me back up. Just in case you don't know who Matt Nix is, and haven't taken three seconds (depending on your internet connection) to look him up, he's the creator of BURN NOTICE and THE GOOD GUYS. I really, really, really love both of these shows. In case you hadn't noticed.

ANYWAY

So, in this week's ep of THE GOOD GUYS, entitled, "$3.52" (written by the aforementioned asshole) Jack and Dan (Hanks and Whitford, respectively) are ensconced in a high-speed chase. They're the ones being chased, by a couple of bad guys in separate cars. Jack and Dan are in a beat up, old hot rod with a shot tranny (no, not a transvestite with a bullet wound). The car's not able to go as fast as they'd like it to. And, unfortunately, the bad guys are gaining. To the point that the bad guys pull up on either side of them, guns drawn.

This is a familiar moment. It's in a lot of high-speed chase scenes across television and filmdom. Usually the good guys gun it and get away. I have grown very weary of these scenes. And may even have groaned when I saw this scene. I thought to myself, as I always do...

ME: Why the fuck don't they just brake? I really gotta write a scene sometime where they fucking brake.

Just then, at that very moment, before I could think up some more profanities, and before I lost all respect for Matt Nix, Jack and Dan braked. Which meant the bad guys ended up shooting each other.

It was awesome. As awesome as it's ever been in my head.

But he wrote it first.

Fucker.

4 Comments:

  • At June 29, 2010 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, Mad Max braked in THE ROAD WARRIOR but your point stands.

    I really enjoyed BURN NOTICE back when I could watch cable. Smart, fun stuff.

     
  • At June 29, 2010 7:15 PM, Blogger BooM said…

    I'll amend: people haven't written such a scene where the good guys braked since 1981!

    Happy? Well, are you?

    I love both the shows -- and you don't even need cable for THE GOOD GUYS!

     
  • At July 01, 2010 1:31 PM, Blogger Josh said…

    Yeah, I was surprised by how much I like The Good Guys after our roommate gave it a lukewarm review.

    It's frickin' awesome. Kind of like a successor to MOONLIGHTING, but without all the will they-won't they with the two leads. At least, I'm not asking that question -- clearly, they will.

     
  • At July 19, 2010 6:16 PM, Blogger BooM said…

    omg. Jack and Dan are SO hooking up. You know it'll be the season's end cliffhanger, right?

    Your roomie is dead to me. Dead. To. Me.

    You, sir, are not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home